New Hampshire Archives:

STEWARTSTOWN, NEW HAMPSHIRE (BNO NEWS) — Police searching for a missing 11-year-old girl from New Hampshire on Monday morning found her body in a nearby river, officials said.

A massive search operation for missing Celina Cass had been ongoing since she went missing between late Monday evening and early Tuesday morning last week. Her family previously told police that they last saw Celina at around 9 p.m. local time on Monday evening when she sat at her computer. When the family woke up in the morning, Celina was missing.

Although investigators had no immediate leads on what had happened to the young girl, the FBI’s Child Abduction Rapid Deployment Team (CARD) was called in to assist the New Hampshire State Police in its search. The team consisted of four to six investigators who have in-depth experience in child abduction cases.

On Monday morning, at around 10.30 a.m. local time, a dive team which was conducting a routine search for Celina found the body of an unidentified female in the waters near the Canaan Hydro-Dam, which is less than 0.5 mile (0.8 kilometer) from Celina’s home. It was later determined to be Celina’s body.

“It is with sadness that I report, earlier today, we discovered the body of Celina Cass in the Connecticut River in Stewartstown. I would like to extend my sincere condolences on behalf of the State Police, the FBI, and the Attorney General’s office, to the friends and family of Celina Cass, as well as this community who loved her and cherished her,” said New Hampshire Assistant Attorney Gen. Jane Young during a news conference.

Young said Celina’s death is being investigated as a suspicious death pending an autopsy which should reveal the cause of her death. “Until we determine the cause and manner of her death, we are just going forward as a suspicious death, but we are treating it as a criminal investigation based on what we know at this juncture,” the official said, adding that the autopsy is scheduled to take place on Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. local time at the Medical Examiner’s Office.

“We are continuing to investigate this case, we are talking to witnesses, we are looking at areas where we knew she was last seen. And we will continue that as this investigation remains ongoing,” Young added. Searches were again being carried out at Celina’s home after her body was recovered.

The FBI previously offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the location of Celina and the arrest and prosecution of a suspect. Another $5,000 reward was later added by an anonymous citizen.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

STEWARTSTOWN, NEW HAMPSHIRE (BNO NEWS) — Police searching for a missing 11-year-old girl from New Hampshire on Monday morning discovered the body of an unidentified female, officials said.

A massive search operation for missing Celina Cass has been ongoing since she went missing between late Monday evening and early Tuesday morning last week. Her family previously told police they last saw Celina at around 9 p.m. local time on Monday evening when she sat at her computer. When the family woke up in the morning, Celina was missing.

Although investigators had no immediate leads on what had happened to the young girl, the FBI’s Child Abduction Rapid Deployment Team (CARD) was called in to assist the New Hampshire State Police in its search. The team consists of four to six investigators who have in-depth experience in child abduction cases.

On early Monday morning, an unidentified body was found in the waters near the Canaan Hydro-Dam, which is less than 0.5 mile (0.8 kilometer) from Celina’s home. And although officials said it was the body of a female, it was not immediately known if it was Celina’s body.

Authorities were expected to hold a news conference later on Monday to provide more details about the discovery.

The FBI previously offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to the location of Celina and the arrest and prosecution of a suspect. Another $5,000 reward was later added by an anonymous citizen.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

BRENTWOOD, NEW HAMPSHIRE (BNO NEWS) – A homeless man had his bail revoked on Wednesday for intentionally breaking the law on repeated occasions in order to spent the night in jail instead of spending the night on the streets, the New Hampshire Union Leader newspaper reported.

Jamaine Makepeace, 27, has been arrested three times in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, since June. Makepeace, who is a native of New York and a former member of the Crips gang, was turned away from the local homeless shelter multiple times.

On June 6, Makepeace threw a large rock at a Dunkin’ Donuts drive-through window in Portsmouth. He told police officers that he broke the window in order to have a place to sleep in jail. He was charged with felony criminal mischief and misdemeanor reckless conduct and landed in jail for a brief period.

Days later, police agents were summoned to a local hospital where Makepeace refused to leave an examination room and threatened the staff. He was charged and pleaded guilty to criminal trespass in that case.

Three days later, the homeless man was again involved in an incident at a Burger King in Portsmouth. Makepeace was in the dining area and made threats about his intentions to hurt someone. An employee called the police and Makepeace demanded to be transported to the hospital.

After refusal, Makepeace responded by lying down in the fast food restaurant’s drive-through area. The last two arrests caused that prosecutors had his bail revoked and are considering indicting him on felony charges.

Makepeace did not contest being held without bail and is waiting for his next court appearance but no date has been set yet.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

CONCORD, NEW HAPSHIRE (BNO NEWS) – A New Hampshire woman was charged Thursday with procuring U.S. citizenship unlawfully by misrepresenting her activities during the 1994 Rwandan genocide, prosecutors said.

Beatrice Munyenyezi, 40, of Manchester, New Hapshire allegedly participated, committed, ordered, oversaw, conspired to, aided and abetted, assisted in and directed persecution, kidnapping, rape and murder during the Rwandan genocide of 1994. She allegedly concealed these facts in order to obtain immigration and naturalization benefits.

It is alleged that Munyenyezi unlawfully made these material misrepresentations on a number of occasions.

If convicted of the two counts of procuring citizenship unlawfully, Munyenyezi faces up to 10 years imprisonment, followed by 3 years of supervised release and a $250,000 fine, along with revocation of her U.S. Citizenship.

An estimated 800,000 people were murdered during the 1994 Rwandan Genocide, which took place over the course of approximately 100 days.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

TORONTO (BNO NEWS) — A moderate earthquake struck the Ontario-Quebec border region on Wednesday and was felt across parts of the United States, seismologists said. There were no reports of major damage or casualties.

The 5.0-magnitude earthquake at 1.41 p.m. local time (1741 GMT) was centered about 8 kilometers (24 miles) north of Cumberland, a township in eastern Ontario province. It struck about 53 kilometers (33 miles) north-northeast of Ottawa, but was felt as far away as Toronto and northern U.S. states.

The quake – which was unusually strong for the region – struck about 18 kilometers (11.2 miles) deep, making it a shallow earthquake, according to Natural Resources Canada. The United States Geological Survey (USGS) initially measured the strength of the earthquake at 5.5 on the Richter scale.

The USGS estimated approximately 31,000 people perceived moderate shaking, while 1,787,000 others perceived light shaking.

There were no reports of major damage or casualties from the earthquake, although it was observed over a vast area.

People in Toronto, Ottawa, and other Canadian cities reported feeling the quake. But also people in the U.S. states of New York, Maine, Indiana, Detroit, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Illinois, New Jersey and Connecticut feeling the earthquake.

A number of buildings in the region were briefly evacuated as a precaution.

Kevin Sack, a spokesman for the City of Toronto, said the earthquake caused no major damage to City infrastructure. “The Toronto Transit Commission and Transportation Services have reported that there has been no damage to their infrastructure or interruptions to service,” he added.

“The City’s Emergency Operations Center is up and running in preparation for the G20 so the City is uniquely prepared to respond to the event. We will continue to monitor the situation and will report as necessary.”

In Ottawa, the city hall’s windows were shattered.

Also people in New York City were able to feel a slight earthquake. “The effects have been felt in the New York City area,” a statement from the New York City Office of Emergency Management said. “There are no reports of injuries or damage in New York City at this time.”

Wednesday’s earthquake was the strongest earthquake since 1998, when a 5.4-magnitude earthquake rocked the region. And on November 6, 1997, a 5.1-magnitude earthquake killed one person in Canada.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) – U.S. Senators John McCain, Richard Shelby, and Judd Gregg on Wednesday introduced the Government Sponsored Enterprise (GSE) Bailout Elimination and Taxpayer Protection Amendment.

The new legislation will put in place an orderly transition period to end the conservatorship of the Federal National mortgage Association (FNMA, i.e. Fannie Mae) and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (FHLMC, i.e. Freddie Mac), and eventually requires each to operate – without government subsidies – equally with private sector companies.

“The events of the past two years have made it clear that never again can we allow the taxpayer to be responsible for poorly-managed financial entities who gambled away billions of dollars,” said Arizona Senator John McCain. “Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are synonymous with mismanagement and waste and have become the face of ‘too big to fail’. The time has come to end Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac’s taxpayer-backed slush fund and require them to operate on a level playing field.”

“Today, I gladly joined Senators McCain, Gregg and other Banking Committee members in filing a true reform plan for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Democrats for years blocked meaningful reform of these entities. It is nonetheless astounding that neither the Obama Administration nor Congressional Democrats saw fit to address these two institutions, which played such a large role in our financial crisis,” Alabama Senator Shelby said.

“For far too long, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have enjoyed an implicit government guarantee, leaving American taxpayers on the hook when their risky deals go sour. Our amendment will provide for an orderly winding-down of the government’s conservatorship of these companies so that they can operate without taxpayer backing in the future,” New Hampshire Senator Gregg stated. “It will also bring to light an accurate budgetary cost of these programs and include this cost in the federal budget each year while they remain under conservatorship, rather than continuing to sweep it under the rug. “

The new amendment would require an end date for conservatorship period for both GSEs at two years from the date of enactment. It would also place new operating restrictions for Post-Conservatorship, providing changes to the existing structured. It would ultimately repeal the GSE’s exemption from having to pay state and local taxes, and will increase the minimum down payment required on all new loans purchased from GSEs.

Additionally, it would establish a Senate-confirmed Special Inspector General (SIG), within the Government Accountability Office, with responsibility for investigating and reporting to Congress on decisions made with respect to the conservatorships of the GSEs. The SIG would provide quarterly reports to congress.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

CONCORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE (BNO NEWS) – A Milton, New Hampshire woman was sentenced to 36 months in federal prison and 36 months of supervise release, prosecutors announced on Monday.

Sheri Fister, 43, pleaded guilty to robbing the Citizens Bank on August 26. She said her family needed $10,000 after their home was recently foreclosed. Her husband asked her for the money of their savings account. Fister, unbeknownst to her husband, had already spent the savings in a camper and several cars.

Before robbing the bank, Fister used the Google search engine to learn how to rob a bank and how to disguise herself. On August 24, 2009, she entered the bank and made a deposit, waiting for the moment to attack. She wore a bandanna, a dark baseball cap, sunglasses, and coveralls.

After the deposit she approached a bank teller and handed him a note demanding her $10,000 and that she had a gun. The teller had no choice but to give $7,569 to Fister. Fister fled in a red truck. Fister was arrested after she was identified by many local citizens.

“I did it. I don’t know why I did it. It was stupid. There’s no money. I burned it all,” said Fister.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

BURLINGTON, VERMONT (BNO NEWS) – An Alstead, New Hampshire woman pleaded guilty on Wednesday with the uttering a forged instrument and making a false statement on a tax return, prosecutors said.

Julie Ann Garrow, 44, was a former part-time bookkeeper for Vermont Graphics in Bellow Falls, Vermont, a printing company. Garrow worked there for 14 years until she was fired. In Vermont Graphics, The defendant had access to the company’s checks, but she didn’t have the authority to signed or write the checks for herself.

During her tenure at Vermont Graphics, Garrow forged authorized signatures and altered payment amounts on corporate checks for her own benefit. She also failed to pay taxes on the fraudulently obtained money, resulting in false tax returns in 2003 and 2008.

As part of her plea agreement, Garrow agreed to pay in restitution $607,739 to Vermont Graphics and $81,325 to the ISR.

If convicted, Garrow faces a maximum term of imprisonment of ten years on the forged instrument count and up to 3 years in the tax count.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

CONCORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE (BNO NEWS) – Five men were arrested and charged with various drug distribution and gun offenses committed in Manchester, New Hampshire, prosecutors announced on Friday.

Luis Alberto Reyes, of Methuen, Massachusetts, Angel Andino and Raul Posadas, both of Manchester, were charged with conspiring to distribute oxycodone and cocaine from August 2009 through February 25.

Andino was also charged with unlawful possession of a firearm. Reyes is accused of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute and distribution of oxycodone. Finally, Posadas was charged with possession with intent to distribute of cocaine and oxycodone, and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense.

Jesse Harris and William Provencher, both of Manchester, were charged with one count of possession with intent to distribute oxycodone. Provencher was also indicted for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense.

(Copyright 2010 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without explicit prior permission from BNO News B.V. Contact sales@bnonews.com for more information about subscriptions.)

CONCORD, NEW HAMPSHIRE (BNO NEWS) – Two men were charged in New Hampshire with wire fraud mail fraud, prosecutors said Friday.

Scott Farah engaged in mail fraud, or so-called Ponzi scheme, in the operation of Financial Resources Mortgage, Inc., a mortgage brokering firm, during the period from 1989 through November 2009, resulting in an alleged loss of more than $33 million.

Farah, along with Donald Dodge, engaged in a wire fraud scheme from on or about June 1, 2005 through November 2009 in which funds obtained from private lenders were provided to Farah by CL and M, a mortgage servicing entity, under a line of credit agreement that was never disclosed to the private lenders. The loss alleged in this conspiracy, which is a part of the loss alleged in the aforementioned scheme, is more than $20 million.

A trial was scheduled for Farah and Dodge on June 2, 2010 in the United States District Court, after they were charged by a grand jury for the District of New Hampshire.

(Copyright 2012 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: sales@bnonews.com.)

 Page 1 of 2  1  2 »