Two U.S. service members die in northern Iraq
BAGHDAD (BNO NEWS) — Two American service members were killed in northern Iraq on Sunday, the U.S. military confirmed on Monday, but few details were immediately released.
A brief statement from U.S. Forces – Iraq confirmed the deaths. “Two U.S. service members were killed [Sunday] while conducting operations in northern Iraq,” the statement said, giving no indication of the cause of death.
The statement added that the names of the deceased and details of the incident are being withheld pending notification of next of kin. “The incident is currently under investigation,” the U.S. military said.
Earlier this month, on June 6, five American service members were killed when a rocket struck Victory Base Complex, the military’s base near Baghdad airport. A sixth soldier died on June 16 at a medical facility in Boston as a result of his injuries.
The fatalities raise the total number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq so far this year to 35, according to a BNO News count based on official information. A total of 60 U.S. service members were killed in Iraq last year, most of whom died as the result of non-hostile incidents.
Less than 50,000 U.S. troops remain in Iraq, eight years since the U.S.-led war began on March 20, 2003. According to a security agreement between Baghdad and Washington, all U.S. forces will be withdrawn by the end of 2011.
(Copyright 2011 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Comments are closed.